In 2015 the Brewers’ Company embarked on a project to redevelop Brewers’ Hall. The current Hall is the Company’s third, built in the 1960s after the second was destroyed during the Blitz. Since then the Hall has served its purpose well, but it is now in need of major renovation works and the Court have decided to take this opportunity to maximise the potential of one of the Company’s greatest asset. This ambitious project has four key objectives:
- Maintain and sustain Brewers’ Company financial stability by optimal use of resources
- Update Brewers’ Hall facilities for the long-term benefit of the members
- Develop Brewers’ Hall to enhance income generating opportunities
- Reduce Brewers’ Company reliance on Quarterage
The proposed work includes:
- Replacement of existing 3rd floor mansard with a new, full size floor
- A new 2-storey mansard roof extension
- Four floors of clearly defined, CAT A lettable office space
- Two new lifts (Brewers’ lift and office lift)
- Master’s accommodation relocated and improved
- Improved archive storage space
- New, accessible entrance for lettable office space from Aldermanbury Square
- New services and improved layouts throughout
Diagrammatic representation of additional floors and proposed use
Proposed South Elevation (Aldermanbury Square) showing additional entrance to lettable offices on right hand side.
10 Dec - Clerk gives update to attendees at Tap Room Chat: Brewers' Hall development update Dec 20
9 Dec - BBPA loan of £1M received
8 Dec - Finally all financing agreements and construction contract documentation completed
19 Oct - Brewers' Hall handed over to contractor, Neilcott Construction.
15 Sep - Court approves Hall redevelopment project to commence in Oct 2020.
8 Sep - Master sends update to Liverymen: Brewers' Hall development project - Note to Liverymen
20 Jul - Hall Development Committee agreed selection of preferred contractor.
12 Jun - Tenders received from four contractors.
27 Apr - Invitation to tender issued to four contractors.
5 Mar - Company unable to agree terms with preferred contractor, agree to speak with one of the other tenderers, whilst at the same time pursuing new tender options. Negotiations continue with lender to finalise details of financial agreement.
13 Dec - BBPA confirmed loan of additional £1M.
10 Dec - Charity Bank approved loan of £7M.
6 Dec - Tender responses received from three contractors (two of the three were in the ball park of our estimate/budget, one of which was under budget).
10 Oct - Court approves Stage 4 design and associated cost plan (£8.508M), and gives green light for tender process.
7 Aug - Pre-qualification questionnaire interviews with potential contractors.
27 Jun - RIBA Stage 3 report (addendum) and associated cost plan approved by Hall Development Committee.
5 Mar - Planning permission granted.
9 Dec - Certificate of Immunity from Listing granted by Secretary of State.
Neilcott Construction Newsletters
- Brewers' Hall development update Dec 20
- Brewers' Hall development project - Note to Liverymen 8 Sep 20
- Planning submission - Design and access statement
- RIBA Stage 3 report (addendum)
Project Manager – Gardiner and Theobald
Client Representative – John Harding
Architects – deMetz Forbes Knight
Quantity Surveyor / Cost Consultant – Burke Hunter Adams
Structural Engineers – Heyne Tillet Steel
Mechanical Electrical and Public Health Consultant – Peter Deer Associates